This exhibition reflects the work of the Latvian Red Cross during the century after its establishment on November 20, 1918. The exhibition is part of Latvia's National Centennial Programme because the organisation and its work have been of key importance in the development of the Latvian state over the course of the subsequent century.
The Latvian Red Cross was established two days after the establishment of the Republic of Latvia, and in both cases, the work had to start from scratch. Only voluntary donations and support made it possible for the Red Cross to do its work. The organisation was shut down during the Soviet occupation and restored after the restoration of Latvia's independence. Today it focuses on social care, health promotion, first aid training, and management of various local government and European Commission social programmes.
Among the items on exhibit are awards received by Dr. Kārlis Barons, who was one of the directors of the Red Cross in the 1930s, along with playing cards and lottery tickets published by the Red Cross, as well as souvenirs made by patients at the organisation's treatment facilities. Also on display are Soviet-era posters about public health and blood drives. Present-day Red Cross awards are also part of the exhibition, and the restoration of the awards was facilitated by businessman and philanthropist Guntis Belēvičs in 2007.
Exhibition on view from 08.09.2018 till 20.01.2019
- Pupils: € 0.30
- Students, seniors: € 0.50
- Adults: € 1.00